Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Crave by Melissa Darnell

28 Dec 2011

Title: Crave (The Clann #1)
Author: Melissa Darnell
Publisher: Harlequin Teen Australia
Release Date: December 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher for review (Thank you!)


Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.

For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences...

Ever since Savannah ‘married’ Tristen in fourth grade, her best friends (who are all members of the Clann) started ignoring her. For six years, Savannah still had no idea why her friends abandoned her so suddenly and the secrets of the Clann, until she mysteriously becomes sick for a week. After she recovers, she realises she has ‘changed’ and learns that she is a dhampir (Okay I was so excited when I saw that word! And what did I think of right away? VAMPIRE ACADEMY!); half-vampire and half-witch. Soon, she learns more about her unique abilities (possessing both the abilities of a witch and vampire), and also the reason why the Clann members refused to associate with her, and also the fact that her abilities may pose a threat to both the Clann and the vampires.

With the main focus being the romance between Savannah and Tristen, I suppose I should talk about the romance first. I must admit, I did love the passionate romance and pure longing between the two characters, but to a certain extent. As much as I loved the romance, it did seem excessive. I’ve lost count of how many times both the characters said things like “oh, I can’t stay away from him/her” and “it’s so painful not being with him/her”. Then there were the constant inner struggles both characters had to experience countless times that really got on my nerves after 300 or so pages. It would’ve helped if their struggles had something to do with other things rather than how much they wanted each other. Nevertheless, there really was chemistry between Savannah and Tristen and I loved the gradual romance between the two – it was so sweet and romantic at times! Oh, and I’m a sucker for forbidden romance. There’s no way I can NOT like any type of forbidden romance!

As for the characters, Savannah definitely won’t make my list of all-time-favourite-YA-protagonists. There was nothing wrong with her (apart from those annoying thoughts where she’s debating whether Tristen likes her or not, BUT I suppose it’s pretty normal for teenagers to think like that, right? ) I guess Savannah just seemed like the type of girl who was fragile and required protection from everyone, and not the responsible and intelligent character that I like.

Tristen, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Man, I’d love to have a boyfriend like Tristen! Aside from his annoying endless thoughts about Savannah,(which brings me to ask, do guys actually think like that? Like seriously? All day, 24/7 ,all he thinks about is Savannah!). the guy's really is a sweetheart! He’s always looking out for Savannah, always there to save the day and protect her from anyone that may cause her harm. And as much as I didn’t like how his thoughts always revolved around her, they were caring and considerate thoughts.

Darnellhas created an interesting world where vampires and witches co-exist (and it’s implied that there are also ghosts and demons!) but both species are forbidden to interact with the other. The world-building definitely took a backseat to the forbidden romance so I guess I would have liked to know more about the Clann and even more about the treaty between the vampires and witches.

But on a positive note, I fell in love with Darnell’s writing! If it weren’t for her beautiful writing style and how it’s easily read and understandable, I *might* have stopped reading half-way through. But at times, I actually wanted to continue reading; her writing somehow urged me to read on.

So, while I’m not a fan of books that focus heavily on romance, I’m anticipating the release of the second book, Covet. The ending certainly didn’t leave me aching for more, but I have this feeling that there will be much more action, and more of a plot in the next book!


4 comments:

  1. Haha I think of VA whenever I heard 'dhampir' too. Because Richelle Mead created them, not centuries old mythology. DUH :P

    But I totally understand how you feel about this. I really wish we'd have gotten more on the worldbuilding and while romance is good... sometimes less is more :/ I did like Tristan aswell, though! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - agree with lots ;) Hope the sequel goes deeper into things...

    Yes, like Brodie I thought VA when I read dhampir too LOL. I think Richelle did it first(?) so everyone automatically thinks it's not actually a real name.....until it starts popping up in all of these other books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I love this cover! I had seen it before but never looked into it until now it sounds pretty neat considering. I usually enjoy romance but it all depends how it's written. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been seeing this book around but I was never really too keen to read it but its still on my to read pile. Great review Shirley x
    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day