Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

21 Nov 2012

Half-Blood
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: October 18th 2011
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Book Depository

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi—pure-bloods—have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals—well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

 Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

 Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. 

Unfortunately, she’s crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn’t her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Half-Blood was incredible. It had all the elements I LOVE in a YA book- a sarcastic, humorous and independent heroine; a steamy romance that develops over time; heart-racing action and some butt-kicking fighting scenes; a mind-blowing plot that will likely be explored in further detail in the next book. Half-Blood was just...unputdownable!

I loved how this took on a different approach on Greek Myth- it wasn't based on a particular myth, but rather on Greek mythology in general. The fact that there weren't supernatural creatures like vampires and were involve, was a relief and made this so much more interesting! The main plot for this series was definitely fascinating, although Half-Blood seemingly sets the scene leading up to the main storyline. But fear not! There's an abundance of awesome action, sizzling chemistry between Alex and Aiden, and the hilarious interactions between the characters to keep you occupied!

Have I mentioned how I much I adore kick-ass heroines? Well, I do. And Alex? Well...she is badass. The girl doesn't take crap from anyone; she's stubborn, hilarious and she's literally a comeback machine. (she ALWAYS has a snarky comeback at the ready!) Oh, and her interactions(more like bantering) with the sexy Sentinel, Aiden made reading Half-Blood all the more enjoyable!( Plus the fact that their romance is FORBIDDEN- literally frowned upon by the Gods- made it so much more exciting :) )

If you haven't already figured, I loved this.  I don't care that it's striking similar to the Vampire Academy series; I found it incredible in its own way! I've no doubt Pure will be just as fantastic :)



5 comments:

  1. I keep saying this but I really MUST read this series soon. There's nothing but high praises for it. Need to catch up now I reckon. Fab review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!! I'm so glad you loved this too Shirley! I just adored Alex, she was definitely a total badass. At first I was a little confused given the similar setup to VA, but that went away quickly and I thought the story really became its own. Can't wait to see what you think of the next 2 books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this one forever, but I keep putting it off--WHY? It sounds like something I love, since I like kick-ass heroines and VA, too! Thanks for the nudge, I may have to dust this one off. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is an amazing review Shirley! I've always planned to read this series, but just never had the time, I sure feel like tackling it now over the Christmas break! I like my heroines kick ass! So I know I'm going to have a lot of fun with this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling, I love this review! Thanks for being short and sweet, and to the point. Hehe, comeback machine! Alex sure does sound like a snarky character that I will love. I've this book for forever, and I still haven't read it! The Greek Mythology sounds absolutely brilliant, I can't wait to read about it. Again, fabulous review, Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day